When changing out a fuel filter, it becomes necessary to remove any air bubbles that have been introduced into your fuel system. Additionally, you need to prime the fuel filter to ensure fuel is circulating in your fuel system once again.
How do you prime a fuel filter?
Priming a Gas Fuel Filter
- Turn the ignition key to the accessory position for about five seconds and then back off again. Repeat this three times to prime the new fuel filter with gas.
- Crank the engine on the fourth turn of the engine, and let it run for about 15 to 20 seconds.
Do you fill a new fuel filter?
4, filling the new filter. With a diesel vehicle, the fuel filter needs to be filled with diesel fuel before it is installed; if it isn’t, the vehicle will not start, Gaither said. It is recommended that the center of the filter be plugged before diesel fuel is poured into the inlet holes.
Do you have to prime fuel pump after installation?
You don’t need to manually prime a mechanical fuel pump the way you do a carb. A fuel pump works on a vacuum; at idle speed, a well-functioning fuel pump should draw enough of a vacuum to prime itself.
How do you prime the main fuel system?
How to Prime a Fuel System
- Open the hood of the vehicle and locate the fuel pump; it is usually found between the fuel tank and the first fuel filter. …
- Open the bleed plug on the fuel filter closest to the fuel tank. …
- Open the fuel supply valve to allow fuel to flow from the pump to the filter.
How do you prime a new fuel pump?
The proper method to start any EFI engine in a car or a truck is to turn the ignition key to run and no farther. Wait for the fuel rail to prime, and when you hear the fuel pump relay shut off, continue into the crank mode. The proper sequence is run, wait, turn to crank.